Saturday, March 26, 2011

Dahlonega, Georgia Gold Mine

Today's rain sent us underground to tour the Consolidated Gold Mine in Dahlonega, GA with Hoppy and Marybet. Gold was discovered here well over 100 years ago.
This quartz vein contains gold.
A spring runs through the mine.
A hibernating little brown bat clings at the edge of the white stuff.
Amazing to learn about how the gold was mined. It was incredibly dangerous. Men frequently went blind and deaf.
Hoppy and John listen intently. Hoppy declined to wear the blue hard hat and he was careful to duck when the ceiling was low. The tour guide said, "This is the wishing rock. It's called that because after you hit your head on it you say I wish I hadn't hit that!"
Quite cool and damp underground.
The tour guide ran this extremely loud driller briefly and we heard the mine echo afterwards.
We each found a couple of flakes in our gold pan - perfect souvenirs for Trenton and Oliver!

1 comment:

Jim said...

Cool adventure, guys! Trenton will be amazed to see the gold, I'm sure.

I just got back from Colorado last night and posted a few photos to Facebook. I'll send you some over email if you want.